Titlelinks

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Cake Pops

Last night, I went to a New Year's Eve Eve party, and I decided to bring cake pops! I had never made them before, and thought it would be a good treat to try out. The recipe was very simple, but it turned out to be a lot more challenging than expected. 


First thing you'll  need to do if you want to try making your own is bake a cake. One of my favorites is chocolate, and I thought that was standard enough that a lot of people would like it. 
After you bake the cake, you'll need a really big bowl for crumbling the cake.  I started out by dumping the cooled cake into the biggest bowl in my kitchen, and ended up switching to one of my mom's huge pots when I realized the whole cake wouldn't fit. 


See? Way too full, and that's not even the whole cake! 
Anyway, crumble the cake into tiny bits. Next you'll add in half of  a container of frosting, but you can always add more if the mixture isn't sticky enough. You want it to be sticky enough to roll into balls, but not where it's gloppy.  I added chocolate frosting (sticking with the chocolate theme). 

After that, you can roll them into 1-inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet. They'll need to be refrigerated for an hour or two, but I'd recommend just doing it overnight. 

Cake/frosting mixture rolled into balls

 Next is the hard part. Use your favorite melting chocolate ( I used Candy Quick Melting Chocolate), dip a candy stick (can be found at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc) and dip the end in the chocolate and insert the stick about half way into the cake ball.  Then, you can dip the ball in the melted chocolate, coating it all the way around. If you want sprinkles, roll the coated ball in the sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet. After that, stand them up somewhere to dry, and keep them refrigerated until you're ready to eat! 

The finished product! 

Challenges:
1. If you let the cake balls sit out too long while you're dipping them, they'll get warm and fall apart. So I'd only do a few at a time and leave the rest in the fridge.  

2. I used chocolate frosting to hold them together, but chocolate on chocolate makes them REALLY RICH. Almost too sweet for me. I'd recommend using vanilla frosting instead of chocolate, and that will make them a little more bearable for those of us who don't have as much of a sweet tooth. 

3. I seriously underestimated the amount of dipping chocolate I needed, and had to go buy some more. Trust me, even if you think you've got too much, you probably don't have enough. These take a LOT of chocolate coating. 

Out of all this, I got about 24 cake pops (with a few mess-ups) and they turned out to be a huge hit at the party! 

Happy baking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.