Titlelinks

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Crayons Can Melt On Us For All I Care

First, watch/listen to this.

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.  I made another attempt at being creative! 

This time, I tried one of those crayon melty art things like you see on Pintrest, or another blog, but I added my own twist.

Supplies: 
1. Canvas
2. Crayons 
3. Hot glue
4. Newspaper to cover the work space.
5. Cardboard (optional)- you'll see why later. 

First step was to gather crayons. I didn't bother buying a box because I had so many laying around. I picked out all the nasty colors and separated them into color piles.


Next I had to take off all the wrappers. That was a serious pain, but the crayons melted much better with no paper restricting them.

After that, I got them in the order that I wanted. Usually at this point you'd glue them onto the canvas, but I didn't want the remnants on my art. So, I glued them to a piece of cardboard (a Fruity Pebbles box, to be exact) and hot glued that to the back of the canvas. That way, the wax from the crayons could run down, and I could get rid of the crayons when I was done.


 Next was the fun part. I covered my garage floor in newspaper- a wise decision because this got REALLY MESSY. Then I took a hairdryer and blasted the crayons with heat for what seemed like forever until they started to melt.





 Unfortunately, the more they melted, the more the colors blended together. It started to get a little dark and muddy, and I got worried. I think this was because I didn't put them in rainbow order. I didn't think it would matter, but apparently it does.
The canvas without the attached crayons
 So, because I was not satisfied with the dark colors on the canvas, I kept going. Usually once the crayons are melted and you get the drippy effect you stop, but I kept  heat on them until the majority of the wax ran off.  This left behind a little bit of color, and it was a little brighter too.

The finished product! 
I actually like the way this turned out a lot more that what I had seen on other blogs and what I was going for. I think it looks cooler than the goopy stuff you get at first.  Next time I'll use different colors- probably just pink, yellow, and orange.  That way if they mix it won't be a tragedy.  I can't wait to try it again! 

Oh, and this is definitely hanging in my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.