Titlelinks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sometimes people call me Super-Health-Nut-Freak Girl


Yes, it's true. I've been called a health freak. It probably doesn't help that I'm drinking a homemade fruit smoothie right now.  The last time was when I told my family that I was making turkey burgers for dinner.  I know, I know, turkey burgers have a bad rap. I had my doubts too. But let me tell you, they were delicious.  I got the recipe from DisneyFamily.com, which is genius in itself because kid-friendly recipes are also great for picky/poor college students. I thought I'd try it and see what happens. Keep reading for a delicious, healthy meal: 

Ingredients: 
1 lb. lean ground turkey 
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced 
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt/pepper
8 slider or dinner rolls
1/4 cup mayo
1 tbsp. honey dijon mustard 


First, I will go ahead and put it out there that raw meat creeps me out. Ground turkey was no exception. It was very...smooshy. But it wasn't like I was working with a raw steak or something, so I could deal. 

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400° F. Combine the ground turkey with the seasonings and cheese until well blended. 




Step 2: Shape the meat into dinner-roll sized patties and place on a greased baking sheet. Even though the recipe says you can get 16 patties with 20 ounces of turkey, I had a pound of turkey and still only got 8. 


Strange looking, huh?
 Step 3: Bake the patties in the oven for 8-10 minutes, keeping an eye on them because they may get dried out if you leave them in too long.


One thing I was not expecting was the grease that accumulated on the baking sheet.  It was no where near as bad as beef, because turkey is a lean meat.  Most of the grease stayed on the sheet, but I put them on a paper towel to soak up any excess, just to be safe.  Hey, it's still better than frying them!


Also, make sure they're cooked thoroughly! I had to cut into one to make sure the inside was no longer pink or squishy. 


Anti-greasing the meat
 Step 4: While the patties are cooling, mix together the mayo and honey dijon in a small bowl. Place the patties on a dinner roll and top with the mixture. Feel free to add lettuce or tomato, just like any other burger. 


The finished product
Looking back, these were way easier and way more delicious than I was expecting! I served them with a side of sweet corn, because I can't stand having a meal without some sort of vegetable present. The cost ends up being about 50 cents per slider, so that's not too bad for a college budget! The recipe can easily be double or tripled to make for a big group too. I'll surely be making these again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.