Titlelinks

Thursday, March 7, 2013

I hemmed a bed skirt and now I'm old.

When I went home a few weeks ago, Mom and I did a little project. The dust ruffle ( the little skirt along the bottom of the bed) was too long on my parent's bed and on my sister's bed. Because I'm itching to use my new sewing machine as much as possible, I thought this would be a good, easy way to practice. 

 I never thought I'd need to know how to hem a bed skirt, but apparently it's important. This is the sort of thing both of my grandmothers would do... 

First, we folded down the middle so the sides were at an even length, and placed pins about an inch apart down the whole thing.  It took us two tries to get the fold straight, but overall it wasn't too hard. 


Next, I loaded the machine with matching thread and just began to sew. It was pretty easy, since I was just sewing in a straight line. I took out the pins as I went a long, and the process only took about 10 minutes. I was also sewing SUPER SLOW because I was worried about messing up. (I didn't!)


One minor difficulty- there was so much fabric, it got difficult to feed through the machine when it was bunched up on the right. I just had to stop and pull the excess through, and thankfully it worked. 


After I finished sewing, we put it back on the bed and checked to make sure it was the right height. Everything looked good!


Moral of the story- if you have something simple like a bed skirt that needs fixing, don't pay a lot of money to get it hemmed, just do it yourself! It's really not as hard as it looks, and you'll save yourself a few bucks. OR you can pay me to do it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.