Titlelinks

Sunday, March 17, 2013

You're not a real hipster until you roast your own coffee.

COFFEE (Yes, these are the actual beans we roasted)
This is Brenden. 


He won't admit it, but he is a coffee snob. He would't be caught dead drinking Folgers. While Starbucks is fine and niche coffee shops are better, they say nothing beats roasting your own. So, that's what he did. I helped! 

Green beans! (Get it?)
Brenden found some green (unroasted) coffee beans from Sweet Maria's and ordered some from exotic places like Ethiopia and Brazil. 


You can roast them using a popcorn popper. Who knew it was that simple? They heat up and turn brown, and the popper spits out the skin, called the chaff.  




It was pretty cool- it looked like sawdust. 

The chaff from the coffee beans. 
After they were finished roasting and Brenden stirred them, he poured them on a pan to cool them as quickly as possible.  I don't know much about roasting coffee, but apparently it's all in the technique. 


They say you're supposed to let it air out for a few days for maximum flavor, but ain't nobody got time fo dat. 

Beautiful, no? 
After that, Brenden ground the beans and made a pot of coffee. This particular coffee from Ethoipia claimed to have "peachy" and "flowery" notes. I'm not a coffee person, so I couldn't care less about any flowery notes in it, but hey, whatever you say. 

I don't even like coffee. I like coffee in things like mochas and lattes, but they usually have enough syrup to mask the coffee taste. Anyway, when I tried this coffee, I have to say: It was the least terrible coffee I've tasted. And that's saying something! 

Brenden, Rachel, and Justin tasting the home-roasted coffee

There you have it guys. Home-roasted coffee really is better than store bought. But I can't really say I'm surprised. If Brenden keeps giving me this stuff, who knows...I may end up liking coffee after all! Maybe. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.