Titlelinks

Saturday, April 27, 2013

DIY Lace Coasters


I made these coasters for my roommate Rachel's birthday and this is one project that I loved doing! 
I originally saw it on Pinterest (of course) and I knew I wanted to try it for myself.  Spray paint over lace on a ceramic tile. Bam. Done. 

Lace is one of my absolute favorite patterns, so anything I can do with lace is perfect. I didn't have time to go to Hobby Lobby for fabric, but luckily I found what I needed at Wal-Mart. You won't need a lot of lace because the coasters are small; I didn't even get a whole yard and it was $1.55. 

You can use whatever spray paint you like, but make sure it's spray paint. Ceramic tiles are only 16 cents each at Lowe's so I'd recommend going there. 16 CENTS! No joke. The craft gods smile upon us.

First, cover the tile in lace and make sure to pull it taut around the back. 


Do one coat of paint, wait a few minutes, and do another coat once it starts to dry. Don't worry, it'll dry really quickly. Once the paint starts to dry you can peel off the lace, but do it very carefully! 

I did one coaster just a solid blue to change it up some. I think it adds a nice touch. 


After I peeled off the lace, I used an acrylic sealer (spray Mod Podge will work) to cover the tiles.  This will keep the paint on once you use the coasters for sweaty drinks. Note: DO THIS OUTSIDE. And you might want to let the coasters dry outside too. With the sealer they'll have to dry overnight, and they will stink up the house if you bring them in. 

Also, I'd recommend the little fuzzy furniture "feet" on the bottom to keep them from scratching the table. They come in a pack of 20 at Wal-Mart or Lowe's. 


I was very happy with the way they turned out! Once I figured out what I was doing, it was really easy! Pinterest projects are either win or lose, so I was glad when this one worked.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.