Titlelinks

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Diamonds and Pearls- Wine Glass Conversion




This project was inspired by my roommate Rachel. On our weekly trip to Hobby Lobby last week, we found some rhinestones and pearls for half off! I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with them, but then I found this glass (two actually) at a thrift store for 50 cents. They're only about 8 inches tall, so I wouldn't actually drink out of it, but it's a perfect blank slate for decorating! 



At first, I wasn't sure how to get them to stick. Elmer's won't hold. Mod podge? Too slippery. Hot glue? Perfect. As long as it doesn't get too gloppy....

I started by adding jewels around the stem, and working my way out from there. It only took a VERY small dot of hot glue to hold them, so be careful about that. If you add too much, it will start to squish out the sides. Don't worry about the little strings leftover when you pull the hot glue gun away- they don't stick to glass and you can pull them right off. 



I kept going all the way around the base of the glass. I considered adding them up the stem, but I was running low on rhinestones and I still have another glass I want to do! There was no rhyme or reason to my gluing, and I like the random pattern! Yes, I glued each little thing by hand. With cost of labor, I could probably sell it on Etsy now for like $20.  


Anyway, who wants to use an 8 inch wine glass? Probably no one. Instead, this makes a perfect candle holder! This will probably sit on my coffee table when I finally get settled in DC (Hi, roommates) Another successful DIY! 


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! The icing on the cake is that the total cost of the project was less than $4. I can live with that!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I love the way that looks! What's classier than a wine glass decked out in jewels.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm always up for a little glamour

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.