Titlelinks

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

DIY Maxi Skirt


I had such a good time making this skirt, I decided to do another! I've seen maxi skirts and dresses all around, but I've never been particularly motivated to buy one. They seemed a little pricey for something you could probably sleep in. So, I decided to make my own! 

I went to Hobby Lobby and got some jersey knit fabric. It feels just like a soft t-shirt! Something's not quite right though, see? 


Turns out, the lady at Hobby Lobby cut it crooked! Darn it! I'm not experienced enough to know how to deal with this! *cue panic* 

After a few deep breaths, I knew I could figure it out. I pre-shrank the fabric, because with knits like this, it may draw up once you wash it. It's best to get it out of the way so it doesn't pucker if it shrinks. After I laid it out, I pinned along the ugly edges so I could cut off the extra fabric without it moving around. 


I used my rotary cutter and made the edges a little more even. When I washed it, the edges curled up, and that was really frustrating, but it's nothing I couldn't deal with. Pinning it down really helped.  Also, if you sew and don't use a rotary cutter/mat I would highly recommend it. You don't have to fool with scissors and it's much faster. Worth every penny! 


By cutting it at an angle, it make one edge narrower than the other. I used the smaller end as my waist, and the bigger end as the hem, that way it has a bit of an A-line effect. Also, like my pin cushion? It's from my sweet roommate Rachel : ) Tea and sewing are a few of my favorite things, so it's perfect for me! 


I looked up quite a few "maxi skirt" tutorials on the internet, but none of them satisfied me. They all had elastic on the outside, or did something strange that I didn't like. So instead of using a tutorial, I reference my handy dandy Sewing In A Straight Line book by Brett Bara, and followed her steps on how to get the best looking hem and such. 


First, I sewed the side seam. Because it was folded in half, I only had one piece. I sewed the edges with a zig-zag stitch because it seems sturdier.  Notice how I have my pins pointing down- that makes them much easier to pull out as you sew. It's the little things. 


After I sewed the side seam, I turned the top down 2 inches and sewed a tube for the elastic.  I used a thicker elastic for this skirt, and I like it a lot. 



After I did the waistband, I tried it on and everything looked pretty good.  A lot of the tutorials I saw said you didn't need to hem it, but I wasn't happy with the raw edge. One quick hem later and I was done! The stretch fabric was a little hard to work with to make sure it didn't stretch in weird places. It's far from perfect, but I made it! And it's incredibly comfortable. I'm so excited to show it off! 

For this skirt, I had to buy fabric, matching thread, and elastic. With my Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon, the total cost was around $8.00! Of course, you could pay $40 for this Gap skirt, or make your own. You choose. 


2 comments:

  1. Great job! Are you intermediate in sewing? I'm a beginner but I tried the maxi skirt thing on my own. Not successful. I'll definitely have to use your guidelines the next time I attempt to make my own lol. Love the skirt :)

    mycrushcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I'm a beginner too! This is only the 3rd thing I've sewn, along with an infinity scarf and another skirt. My next project is a pillow cover, so be on the lookout for that soon!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.