Titlelinks

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Anthropologie Copycat Shorts and fun with RIT dye!

Last week I had a little fun with some navy RIT dye. There were a couple of dresses that I wanted to dye because one had a stain, and the other was an outdated print. 

The shorts you see here were an afterthought, and actually used to be blue jeans! You could get this pair for $78 from Anthropologie, or you could make your own for free! 



I let the dresses sit in the dye bath for roughly 30 minutes. The first dress used to look like this: 

Bright blue and SO comfy 

 I found a stain on it, but I wasn't quite ready to give it up. But dye will cover up the stain! And I do love navy. This dress turned out beautifully, but the dress you see in the back didn't quite hold the color like I hoped. Anna still liked it, so I gave it to her. 




If you look closely, you can see that the thread around the bottom didn't hold any dye! Weird, huh? I like the little pop of bright blue color though, so hey, it works. The braiding detail around the top is my favorite. 




I wish I had a 'before' shot of the blue jeans, but if you picture a pair of tired, boring old blue jeans then you've got it! I cut them off and dunked them in a bowl of bleach.  Because I put them legs-first into the bleach, the top naturally stayed a little darker. I thought I'd up the contrast and put them into my navy dye-bath with the dresses.




For something I did on a whim, I love the way these shorts turned out! The length on these is also great- nowadays it's hard to find shorts that actually cover my rear, so being able to customize these is exactly what I needed. I turned up the raw edge and hemmed around the bottom with white thread. 




Dye is cheap, and a  great way to spice up some old clothes. Try it out! 







2 comments:

  1. This is genius. I have a few pieces of clothing I'm taking from Goodwill pile and doing this too! So cute.

    Liz
    http://www.thedottedlining.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Bleach/dye is a great way to repurpose some old clothes. If you try it, you should do a blog post about it so I can see how it turns out! Good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.