Titlelinks

Saturday, June 15, 2013

DIY Map Plates



For my latest DIY, I decorated some glass plates with maps!  I found the maps at the same thrift store where I found this dress! The maps are maps of Nova Scotia... I've never been, but apparently someone else did and decided to get rid of their maps! I love the bright colors. 

I started with two glass plates of different sizes, so I can stack them. I found the glass plates at Hobby Lobby for less than $5. Pretty reasonable!  




I cut up the maps into pieces, trying to get as many different colors in the pieces as possible.  If you try this on your own, remember to work "backwards". When you start glueing, you want the biggest/most colorful pieces to show through on the plate, so those should go on first. Start big and work your way down.

I put a small layer of Mod Podge where the map piece was going, then laid the piece down and put another layer of Mod Podge on top to seal it. Because the plate was curved, I pressed each map piece with my finger to get out the air bubbles. 




I repeated the process until the whole plate was covered. With the big pieces on the bottom, the smaller pieces were free to use to fill in the tiny gaps. When I finished, I put one final layer of Mod Podge over the whole plate to seal it. 

Don't worry about pieces hanging over the edge. It's easier to put them all down and trim the edges later rather than trying to cut pieces to fit along the edge. 




The Mod Podge was pretty thick (oops) so it took forever to dry, but look! Now I have cool, un-boring plates! I love the colors from the different map pieces. Even better- no two of these will ever be the same! 

Note: These are NOT dishwasher safe. I don't even think I'll put food on them. I think they'll look nice on my coffee table, or maybe even on my vanity as a jewelry tray! 



Linking up with Not Just A Housewife for this post!

Also, Google Reader is going away soon (as in a few weeks) so be sure to follow me on Bloglovin' if you like what I have to say!

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. what an absolutely fun idea! i love the looks of maps and the wanderlust it inspires in you (i'm hunting for a big one to put over my couch), and this is one way to use them i've never thought of! very crafty ;)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I was originally looking for antique maps to use, but I couldn't find any. But I like the way these maps look too! Good luck finding one for over your couch!

      Amanda

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.