Titlelinks

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hollywood For Ugly People

For those of you who don't know, I'm moving from South Carolina to Washington, D.C. on Tuesday! Well, technically I'll rest my head in a Virginia zip code because it's a heck of a lot cheaper, but work and play will happen in a DC zip code!

Someone once said Washington is Hollywood for ugly people. Hey, I guess that's true! You've always got an opportunity to see some "famous" politician or celebrity at dinner. I even met Ben Stein at a museum once.


I got this book from my office to prepare me for all things DC.  I read the whole thing, of course.  Did you know DC was named the nation's healthiest metropolitan area for 3 years in a row? Now you do!

I've done two 3-month stints in the DC area for internships, but this time it's actually for real! I somehow managed to find a great deal on an apartment (with TWO walk-in closets!) and in walking distance to the Metro. Now THAT is nothing short of a miracle.

Now I understand why people complain about moving- it's a pain!  (Oh where will I find enough boxes!), but my parents have been generous to give me couches and a bedroom set, along with many, many other supplies.  The hard part is just getting it all there.

So, dear DC, I'm coming back. May your sidewalks not break my high heels, may the long lines at your exclusive restaurants not deter me from trying something new, and may you always provide me with something to do on weekends.  Please don't ever make me witness a birth on the Red Line, and may your stupid STUPID traffic not make me lose my mind.

xoxo,
Amanda

P.S. Google Reader is going away next week! Follow me on Bloglovin' for updates! It's compatible with WordPress and Blogger blogs and keeps everything organized in one place. Really there's no reason not to do it. Jus' sayin'.

Follow on Bloglovin


9 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! DC is my dream city! I'm sure living there will be awesome. Also, totally not surprised by the whole healthiest metropolitan area thing - I feel like I almost got plowed over by runners multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually runners or tourists on Segways! *Shudder* You should let me know next time you and Miles are in town!

      Amanda

      Delete
  2. Ha! I hadn't heard 'Hollywood for ugly people' before! Good luck with the exhaustion moving brings and enjoy your new city! How fun!

    Kristin
    Exploringdomesticity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Amanda, I'm so excited for you!

    DC is such a cool place, just watch out for the cold weather (it gets soooo cold there in February)!

    I'll be there in late October for the Clemson v. Maryland game, so I'll definitely give you a call and we can grab coffee or something.

    Stay in touch!

    -David Platt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! The cold weather is what I'm most worried about! :-/ Do let me know when you're in town, I love visitors! I actually might even try to go to the Clemson v. UMD game too, there's no reason not to when I'm so close!

      Amanda

      Delete
  4. LOL, all true! Welcome to NoVA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. TWO WALK IN CLOSETS?! i hate you, i have one closet and its the size of shoe box. you can only imagine my pain. but yaaaay that's so exciting! what's your job that you're moving to our capitol? :)

    xo Marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck in DC! I love the idea that it's Hollywood for ugly people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I wish you the best of luck with your move. Moving is definitely stressful but you're gonna feel so good when you're all settled in! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.