Titlelinks

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Leafy Dress Refashion

 I found this, um, interesting dress at the Helping Hands Thrift Store in Clemson.  Helping Hands is a children's shelter in the area for abused or neglected kids, and they run a thrift shop as a way to raise money to keep the home open! It's a great cause, so if you're in the Clemson area you should stop by. 

The dress was $4 and way too big on me. It reminds me of something my elementary school teachers would wear. Hey, it was the '90s! I actually like this bizarre leafy pattern, but there was way too much of it. 



Step one: Chop! And take in the sides so it doesn't swallow me! I probably would have been better off taking in the sides first, and THEN chopping the length, because altering the shape of the dress altered the hemline. No worries, nothing a few more cuts couldn't fix! 




I don't have a dress form (yet!) so I had to do all the measuring on myself. It's harder than it looks! I made it too narrow the first time. D'oh! But I just picked the seam while I watched tv and added another one. Once I start my new job in a month (!!!!) I'll suck it up and buy a dress form. They just seem so helpful, and I think it will be worth forking over the cash. 

Anyway, here's the finished product! I like the pattern a lot, now that there's less of it. I found the belt at the same thrift store for $1 and it matches perfectly! Vintage, right? 




I love being able to tailor clothes to my exact size. Off the rack? Psh, never again! 





14 comments:

  1. My first post on your blog and really it is just to say thanks for your Nice Post And Shairing
    You always pick such interesting i visit your blog regularly for updates!
    Loved your description of it.
    Thank you for picking this one.
    http://mp4mobilevidios.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I've got a few more refashions in mind so keep checking back for more!

      Delete
  3. wow :D im really impressed at how you changed the dress fitting ^^ i wish i can sew my clothes too. i own a sewing machine but im not very good at making clothes. practice makes perfect and someday maybe i can do stuff like this too ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! If it makes you feel better, I had never sewn a stitch of clothing until I got my sewing machine this past Christmas! I'm teaching myself as I go and it seems to be working out. I say go for it! No harm in trying! : )

      Delete
  4. love it! It looks so much better and looks so good on you. Perfect for work.

    Kristin
    www.exploringdomesticity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really happy with the way it turned out!

      Delete
  5. You did such a good job on this dress - I absolutely love the pattern and the belt that you paired with it is perfect! That sounds like such an amazing thrift store, by the way.

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I was a little leery about the pattern at first, but now I love it!

      Delete
  6. Isn't it amazing what a little patience and time with the sewing machine can do?! It's quite darling as a mini dress!

    If you're interested, I'm hosting a giveaway for a Gerard Yosca necklace from his upcoming collection. Enter here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And oooh a giveaway sounds fabulous!

      Delete
  7. love this! so amazing what a new hemline can do! i recently learned to use a sewing machine and i'm slowly working through that "to refashion" pile of clothes— it's so much fun making unwearable items into whatever you want them to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have my own pile of "to be refashioned" pile of clothes, and the pile is growing with every trip to the thrift store! It's a fun hobby : )

      Delete
  8. wow i love how you transformed that dress!
    would you like to follow each other on bloglovin'?
    let me know :)
    - Janine
    http://theeoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.