Titlelinks

Monday, June 24, 2013

Thrifted Dress Refashion



I found this dress at a thrift store. (Same one where I found this dress!) It was only $4, and about 14 sizes too big for me. I loved the pattern though, so I thought I'd see what I could do with it. 

Side note to designers: Why must clothes become potato sacks when you get above a size 12? Not cool, you guys. Women come in all shapes and sizes, and everyone deserves to have clothes to flatter  their body!

First thing to do was get rid of that strange non-sash on the front. I liked the buttons, so I kept those in my stash, but the little scrap of fabric added nothing to the dress. It was easy to pick out with my seam ripper. 




Once I started getting into the nitty gritty of the dress, I saw that someone else had done their own little refashion! They had taken up the shoulders, and the hem had been altered too. 




Anyway, the show must go on! I ripped out those previous alterations.  The dress hit me about mid-calf, a look that is not attractive on anyone. I started by taking in the sides a few inches.




Next, I took 4 inches off the bottom hem.  To do this, I used a tape measure and fabric chalk to mark places around the hem. The fabric chalk was so helpful in making sure I had 4 inches evenly marked  around the whole skirt. 




After I chopped off the 4 inches from the bottom, I folded it over and used that to make a sash! 




Full disclosure: I am seriously flat-chested. It's okay, I've accepted it. BUT that means I don't quite fill out the top of this dress. I considered altering the bust to make it fit better, but that would mean taking out the lining, adding my darts, and finagling the lining back inside and sewing it down. In all honesty, I don't think I'm skilled enough to do it! I haven't been sewing long and need more practice. 




I love the way the sash cinches the waist, and the new length! Any tips on taking in the bust on a dress? I'd love to hear them! 



Linking up with The Winthrop Chronicles for this one!

8 comments:

  1. I looove that pattern and you made it look great! I don't do my own refashions, so I might be no help - but wouldn't taking it in another 1/4 inch at the sides of the bust have helped? If you're looking for more shape to it, probably not, but it looks great and a tiny pinch at the top would be all it needs in my opinion.

    Great dress!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I considered taking it in a bit more on the sides. I haven't given up on it yet, so we'll see what I can figure out. If nothing else, I'll at least have a cute dress to practice my sewing!

      Amanda

      Delete
  2. it's okay, i have a problem w/ the bust part of dresses too! i wish i could offer some tips on how to fix it, but i don't know how to sew. i should learn though...i'm a petite woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing is frustrating sometimes, but totally worth it! If I can learn, anyone can! Thanks for the comment : ) Hope you're doing well!

      Amanda

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda! So glad you stopped by my blog! I would pay money for one of your dress makeovers!!
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you like the refashions! I've got plenty of projects planned, so keep checking back for more : )

      Amanda

      Delete
  4. Thanks for coming by my blog! Looks like the Florida trip was awesome - I miss the Florida Gulf Coast! I have a super-big thrifted dress in my project stash, and I can't wait to work on it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! If you do any refashions, you should definitely put it on your blog so I can check it out!

      Amanda

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.