Titlelinks

Saturday, July 20, 2013

I left my heart in Sacramento...

Before I moved to DC, I went to visit Brenden is Sacramento! He's working at UC Davis this summer in their physics department. So, I spent my last weekend as a South Carolina resident...in California. Worth it!

I stayed across from the state house (more like palace; it was pretty!) in downtown Sacramento.  The grounds of the state house were gorgeous! We walked around the gardens and I took pictures with my film camera. I haven't gotten those developed yet because the roll isn't full, but I'm excited to see them!

We ate at plenty of cool restaurants too, like cafeteria 15L, Mikuni, Ten22, La Terraza, and Zia's Delicatessen in Davis. I would much rather go to a cool local place than some Ruby Tuesday's that I could find anywhere. The food was always delicious too! 

On the flight over, I saw the Great Salt Lake. At least I think that's what this is? Who cares, it's pink!! 


Sacramento was weird. The trees were blue! But the palm trees lining the street around the capitol were really cool. And so tall! It looked like something you'd see on tv, and for a small town South Carolina girl who mostly sees Palmetto trees (there's a difference) the palm trees were awesome. 



We also walked around Old Town Sacramento. It was like a little town stuck in the 1800's! On purpose, of course. It was quite the tourist attraction, but still really cool. They had people dressed up in period costumes walking around like they would have been back in the day.  Brenden told me that Sacramento used to be the actual wild west.  It also used to be about 10 feet lower than it is now, and apparently they had some serious flooding. It was fun to learn a little bit of history while we were there. 

The bridge was actually this color! When the sun hit it, it glowed.  So pretty! 

Brenden posing on the river. 
A picture of me to prove I was there. Otherwise I was behind the camera the whole time! 
One of my favorite parts of Old Town was walking around the shops.  We found a candy store that let you sample as much as you wanted for free! I only had like 13 things, including chocolate chip cookie flavored salt water taffy.  I liked the antique shops and quirky little costume stores too. Outside one of them was this bear- made entirely out of Legos!


We also went to a Rivercats baseball game. The Rivercats are Sacramento's minor league team. We had pretty good seats in the shade!! And we got to see fireworks after the game. They were great! It was such a fun time. 


On Sunday, Brenden gave me a tour of the UC Davis campus and downtown Davis! The city's logo is a bike, so it wasn't surprising at all when I saw bikes EVERYWHERE. Literally more bicycles than cars, and the bike lanes are wider than the car lanes.  Brenden's co-op had an extra bike lying around so I got to bike all around town too! It had been forever since I was even on a bike, but it was really fun!!


Davis also had a bike powered carousel.  Haha, of course they would. It was pretty cool though! The park that it was in was really pretty too. Other than the heat, I think California's a nice place! 


It was so great to spend a whole weekend with Brenden! It's not too often I get to do that now that I'm in Washington.  Even though it was only a weekend, I'll take every little bit I can get! 

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.