Titlelinks

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Frumpy to Fabulous

It's a lot harder to find time to sew now that I'm working, but I managed to fix this shirt. I found it at a thrift store on 25% off Monday. It wasn't the greatest (I mean, it had shoulder pads), but I love the material and the color. I knew I could work with it. As you can tell by the look on my face, I wasn't sure how easy that was going to be. 


First issue: It looked like it was straight out of the 90's.  And of course, those silly shoulder pads had to go! Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to put those in women's clothing? What woman wants to look like a football player on a daily basis? And they just kind of creep me out...


Next issue: the squirrel arms. You know, like how flying squirrels have those flaps under their arms? That's what this shirt did to me. Not a flattering look on anyone. Luckily that just meant taking it in a few inches. Because I still don't have a dress form, I did the ol' pinch and pin to guess how much to take it in. 

The first attempt was way too loose, so I had to go back and add another stitch to make it even narrower. I was a little worried about blending the new seam into the wrist with a cuff, because I REALLY did not want to take that off and re-sew it. So, I just blended it in to the cuff by sewing at a diagonal down the arm and you can't even tell. 


Final issue: The buttons. There was a strange flap of fabric that went over the buttons, but I wasn't a huge fan of that. I didn't want to cut if off, because then it would leave a raw edge right on the front of the shirt. Solution: I cut off the back flap where the button holes were and sewed new ones on the top flap! 


I didn't have any matching thread, but you know what? I kind of like the gray for the button holes. It was my first time sewing button holes using my sewing machine, and it was so easy! Don't be afraid to try it because the machine does all the work. Youtube has a few good tutorials that I looked at before attempting it. And always practice on a scrap piece of fabric first! 

So, with the new button holes in place, you can actually see the buttons now. I thought fancy buttons would look much better down the front, and it would add some interest. I forgot to get a close up picture of the new buttons, but they're swirly and silver. Use your imagination. 


I tried it on one last time (after 243987 tries before) and voila! A new shirt! On that note, don't pass by a shoulder-padded, ugly-buttoned, way too big but potentially cool shirt at the thrift store! With a little updating, it can be wearable in no time. 




I'm linking up with The Winthrop Chronicles in this post! And as always, don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin'! 

 Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Que bien que sepas areglarte la ropa!
    Te dejo mi blog, sigueme!!
    Besos^.^
    mylittleworldfashionblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda!
    Great refashion! I love your blog!
    Can I get your email address? If you rather not post it online you can email me at kara.muehlmann@gmail.com

    Thanks!
    whilecamdensleeps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.