Titlelinks

Sunday, November 24, 2013

DIY Knotted Fabric Headband

I've seen a few knotted fabric headbands on Pinterest and I've really been wanting to make one but I've never gotten around to doing it. My sister requested one, so I thought today would be a good day to finally try it! I found a tutorial and went to work.  It was easy enough (once I got the hang of it) that I made two.  

The tutorial I found said to use jersey material (like an old t-shirt) so I tried that first.  The tutorial was also for babies and no t-shirt fabric was big enough to go around my head after tying the knots in it.  So, I moved on to regular fabric. 

For the first headband, I cut two strips, ironed them flat, and folded them in half so that you couldn't see the wrong side of the fabric.  


For the second headband, I took two pieces just like in the first, but cut both into four pieces.  My goal was to do a fishtail braid, but for some reason that didn't work so it just turned into a normal braid. Eh, you get the idea. 


 Back on the first headband, I sewed the fabric into a tube buy sewing a straight line down the raw edges. 


Next, I took the two pieces and laid them out like this: 


Overlapped until it looked like this - placing the 2nd piece of fabric under the loop of the first.  


And the bringing the other end of the second piece of fabric through the loop.  I know I'm horrible at explaining it, so check out this tutorial for clearer instructions. 


I tied the second in the same knot as the first. Maybe you can see how it was done clearer in this picture? 


Next, I pulled the knot until it tightened, and put the ends together.


  
 I grabbed another small piece of fabric and closed it around the end and used hot glue to seal it.  



Ta da! I wasn't sure how I felt about the frayed edges on the first headband, but now I think I like it! 






2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this soon...it turned out SO cute! Anyway, just dropping by to let you know that you have a new follower & how much I love your blog! (: Please feel free to give my blog a follow as well & check it out! Otherwise, keep blogging this cute stuff!!! xoxox Oh & also I have a DIY necktie necklace DIY up that I thought you might like since it's kind of similar! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia! The necktie thing sounds awesome, I'll check it out!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.