Titlelinks

Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Healthy Smoothie Recipe - Round Two

My last post about smoothies from April 2012  has gained quite the popularity on Pinterest. So, here's round two, with a few more healthy modifications! I think this one is even better. 

First, get your blender. If you've got one of those Vitamix ones I envy you. ANYWAY not important.  

I added: 
Frozen mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
Frozen bananas
Pineapple and pineapple juice
Spinach (really!)
Plain yogurt
Chia seeds

You can play around with the amounts of each: more fruit = a chunkier smoothie, more yogurt/juice = a smoother blend.  

I've started adding frozen fruit instead of fresh. I've done fresh before, but for some reason frozen always seems to blend better. Whatever your preference though! I've heard a lot of "green" recipes talking about adding spinach and kale to smoothies, so I thought I'd add a few handfuls...but not too much. Who wants a smoothie to taste like spinach? I also added some chia seeds. I read in a health magazine (somewhere...?) that Chia seeds have a ton of nutrients, and sure enough they do. They are tiny enough that you can't taste them - actually, they have no taste at all. The blackberry seeds were more noticeable. 



Blend it all up, and voila! A super smoothie. The spinach blended very well, and I couldn't see it at all.  No green tint either. This smoothie has most of your daily fruit requirements, plus protein, omega 3s and fiber from the chia seeds and all the good vitamins spinach! Drink up! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.