Titlelinks

Monday, March 3, 2014

DIY Garbage Disposal Cleaners



First: This is my 150th blog post! Monumental, I think! Thanks to all of you who actually read this- I've had a lot of fun writing about things I do and try, even if they don't always work out I have a ton of fun!

Anyway, on the the important things: I don't know about you guys but sometimes my kitchen sink just stinks.  My apartment is pretty old, and I think the garbage disposal is too, so sometimes the food doesn't get ground up that well... As a solution, I decided to make some homemade garbage disposal cleaners.  I found this recipe on Pinterest.

You'll need:
Baking soda
Coarse salt
A lemon
Dish soap

First, mix 3/4 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup coarse salt.  The coarser the better, but I ran out at 1/4 cup, so the other 1/4 was just normal salt.  

Zest the entire lemon and mix the peel with the baking soda and salt. Add a teaspoon of dish soap.  Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice in the dry ingredients. 


Mix until you get a doughy, crumbly mixture. I think my lemon was extra juicy or something, because after I added it, the mixture got a little soupy.  I added more baking soda and salt to dry it out again.  


I don't have a melon-baller and a spoon was too flat to scoop, so I just used my hand and rolled it into tiny balls.  I left them out over night to let them harden.  


I painted the lid of an old mason jar and used that as storage.  It was easy to do, and when you you're ready to use, just pop one in the garbage disposal.  Hopefully these will keep my kitchen smelling fresh!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.