Titlelinks

Saturday, March 22, 2014

DIY Gold Dipped Vase



I love keeping fresh flowers in my living room, but this boring glass vase was a total snooze.  I decided to pretty it up a bit with some gold metallic paint, all it took was a trip to the craft store!  First, get your pink duct tape. Yes, it has to be pink (Okay not really).  Tape off where you want the glass to show. I wrapped mine 3/4 of the way down.  


Next, I took the vase outside to the balcony and gave it a couple LIGHT layers of paint, letting it dry between coats.  If you put it on too thick, it will drip and run, leaving a streaky look.  Don't do that.  Once you're sure it's totally dry, take off the tape! I was worried that the tape would leave a sticky residue, but it came off perfectly clean. Bam, ugly vase is now pretty. 

Also, please ignore the fact that the water is pink in this picture. I don't know how that happened.  I think the flowers dyed it? Or the Washington metro area has some freak water.  


After I painted my vase I was still feeling crafty, so I took some paint to my lime green watering can! Green plastic? Ehhh alright... but the gold. Yes, gold really classes it up. Same technique - a few lightly sprayed coats and let it dry before touching it.  How do you guys like the astro-turf balcony? Yeah, me either. 


Anyway,  no vase is complete without some pretty flowers! These flowers were obviously dyed because even the stems were blue, but hey, pretty enough for me! Thursday was technically the first day of spring and these are just perfect! 



I really like how this turned out.  I love having pretty details like this around my apartment.  What else can I paint now? 






1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.