Titlelinks

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Homemade Granola

I just got a "clean eating" cookbook that has a recipe for homemade granola. Yummmm!

The cookbook says it's much healthier to make at home and I believe it! Something tells me the store-bought granola comes packed with sugar and preservatives.  Bleck! 

 I'm not sure sure about the healthiness of the maple syrup, but it has to stick together some how... at least it's natural! I think that's the #1 priority in the cookbook- that every food item is actually real food and not over-processed. 

Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup all natural organic maple syrup
1/2 cup natural organic honey
1/2 canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 cups natural rolled oats
1 cup toasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
1 cup natural pecans, measured then chopped
1 cup natural walnuts, measured then chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups honey wheat germ


What I actually used was a little different.  I used the syrup and honey to make the mix, but I didn't have canola oil so I used vegetable oil.  I don't think there's a huge difference, so that's what I went with.  Also, the recipe calls for eight cups of oats.  Can we just stop for a second and think about HOW MUCH eight cups is? I used two cups and that was plenty. I didn't use any wheat germ either.  Not important.  

The nuts are crazy expensive, but they're so good for you! This is a good time to suck it up and pay the $12 for the walnuts, I promise.  I used more than one cup of each too. I didn't measure, but  it was probably closer to 2 cups?  Instead of chopping the nuts by hand, I put them in a bag and smashed then with a hammer! It was a great way to let out frustration.  

First, I mixed the goo- syrup, honey and oil. Next, I added in the dry ingredients and mixed until it was all coated.  I spread it out on a baking sheet and baked it for 15 minutes at 325.  When it started smelling good, I knew it was time to take it out and stir.  I did that a few times so all parts could bake evenly. 

Granola - pre-baking



Granola - post-baking

Once it was baked, it firmed up quite a bit. And oddly enough, it tasted even better after it cooled! I'm a big fan.  And it's even semi-healthy! The cookbook says a serving is 1/2 cup and 369 calories.  


Yum!

I even added some of the granola to a parfait- it was delicious! I think I'm also going to try to make some granola bars. Mmmmm.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.