Titlelinks

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Berry Salsa



I found a great recipe for berry-apricot salsa in my Vegetarian Times magazine. It's great for chips if you want a fruity alternative to real salsa, or you can use it as a healthy topping on plain yogurt.  If you ever read the ingredients label on a flavored yogurt, you'll want to start buying plain. It's packed with things no one can pronounce. But if you buy plain and add your own fruit, you know exactly what's going in it! Here's the recipe, with my modifications: 

1 cup raspberries, divided
3 tablespoon apricot preserves
1 cup diced fresh apricots, nectarines, or peaches (I used peaches)
1 cup fresh blackberries
2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger

1. Mash 4 raspberries in a small bowl and mix with the apricot preserves.
2. Add peaches, blackberries, remaining raspberries, and ginger to a bowl.
3. Toss to coat with preserve mixture, add salt and pepper if desired (I didn't).
4. Allow mixture to stand so flavors can combine.






I really like the way it turned out! My only complaint is that the ginger is too strong, especially when you get a big piece in a bite.  Next time, I'd leave it out all together - it doesn't add much to the salsa and the fruit can stand on it's own.  

I'd like to try this with different fruit/preserve combinations.  It's definitely one I'd make again!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate each comment.